If you live in our service area, you may get a library card free of charge, as part of your tax-supported library service.
Your library card allows you to:
- Borrow books from us and from most other public libraries in Illinois.
- Use special online collections to find magazine articles and information you can't get just by searching the web.
- Use a public access comupter in the Library and access the Internet.
To get a library card, see a member of the library staff during normal business hours.
We follow these three steps...
- To verify if a patron is paying to our taxing body, the Winnebago public Library, we reference the Winnebago County Treasurer website.
- If a patron does not reside in our library district (is not paying to our taxing body) but they reside in another library district, that patron is considered a reciprocal borrower.
- If the patron does not reside in our library district (is not paying to our taxing body), or if the patron does not reside in ANY other library district or the municipal library, then they have the option to purchase, for an annual fee, a card for library privileges (NR – Non-Resident). They will be asked to apply for a card from the library that is located closest to the person's primary residence (75 ILCS 16/30-55.60). The non-resident fee for the Winnebago public Library is $84.00. This charge covers all residents at the address, however a proof of identification is required (See step 2 – Identify) excluding children (under 18 years of age).
- District and Non-Resident patrons 18 years or older are required to provide their driver's license reflecting their current address along with two pieces of business mail.
- A reciprocal borrower is asked to show their drivers license as well as their library card from home library. please note that we do call patron's home library to confirm the patron is in good standing and has a current library card.
- District and Non-resident patrons will receive a Winnebago public Library card and are entered into our system.
- Reciprocal borrowers will receive a bar code sticker which the library places on their home library card.
- Patrons are required to show their library card with every use.